Employees' State Insurance Corporation (General Provident Fund) Rules, 1995
9. Conditions and rates of subscriptions
(1) A subscriber shall subscribe to the fund every month except during the period when he is under suspension:
PROVIDED that a subscriber on reinstatement after a period of suspension shall be allowed the option of paying in one lump sum or in installments any sum not exceeding the maximum amount of arrear of subscription payable in respect of the said period:
PROVIDED FURTHER that a subscriber may, at his option not subscribe during any period of leave which either does not carry any leave salary or carries leave salary equal to or less than half pay or half average pay.
Note 1 : The holder of a seasonal post in an establishment need not subscribe to the fund, during the period of his employment.
Note 2 : (1) A subscriber need not subscribe during a period treated as dies non;
(2) The subscriber shall intimate his option not to subscribe during leave referred to in the second proviso to sub-rule (1) in the following manner:-
(a) If he is an officer who draws his own pay bills, by making no deduction on account of subscription in his first pay bill drawn after proceeding on leave.
(b) If he is not an officer who draws his own pay bills, by written communication to the head of office before he proceeds on leave. On failure to make due and timely intimation shall be deemed to constitute an option to subscribe.
Note : The option of a subscriber once intimated under this sub-rule shall be final.
(3) A subscriber who has under rule 17 withdrawn the amount standing to his credit in the fund shall not subscribe to the fund after such withdrawal unless he returns to duty.
(4) Notwithstanding. anything contained in sub-rule (1) a subscriber shall not subscribe to the fund for the month in which he quits service unless, before the commencement of the said month, he communicates to the Head of Office in writing his option to subscribe for the said month.