Cinematograph (Certification) Rules, 1983
28. Deposit of a copy of certified film
(1) In the case of a feature film after 1[the Chairman or] the Regional Officer has affixed his signature to the certificate granted under the foregoing rules and prior to the delivery or dispatch of the certificate to the applicant, a copy in any gauge of the film as certified by the Board shall be deposited by the applicant with the Board at his own expenses for the purpose of record.
Explanation: A video copy of the film shall be treated as a copy of the film for the purpose of this sub-rule.
(2) In the copy deposited under sub-rule (1) the negative side numbers (key numbers) shall be clearly printed.
(3) The copy deposited under sub-rule (1) except where it is a video copy may, at the discretion of the Regional Officer concerned, be returned to the applicant on the expiry of one year from the date of first release of the film.
(4) Before return of the copy of the film under sub-rule (3), the applicant shall deliver to the Board the full shooting script of the film together with dialogues:
PROVIDED that where the script as aforesaid is not delivered within one month after the expiry of one year from the first release of the film, the film shall be sent to the Curator of the National Film Archive of India, Poona, and the applicant shall thereafter collect the same at his own expense, only after obtaining a release order from the Board after delivering the script aforesaid.
(5) No application for the return of the copy of film deposited with the Board in exchange, for the full shooting script under the proviso to sub-rule (4) shall be entertained after two years from the date of the first release of the film:
PROVIDED that the Chairman may, on being satisfied that there is sufficient cause for not making the application within the said period of two years, entertain the application before the expiry of a further period of one year.
(6) In the case of films other than feature films, that is, shorts, documentaries, newsreels, advertisement films and such other films after the Regional Officer has affixed his signature to the certificate granted under the foregoing rules and prior to the delivery or dispatch of the certificate to the applicant, the applicant shall deposit with the Board a copy of the film or in lieu of such deposit, the shooting script or a verbatim commentary or a tape record of the commentary:
PROVIDED that in the case of such films where the Chairman is of the opinion that the applicant for reasons beyond his control is unable to deposit a copy of the film or script or verbatim commentary or tape record of that commentary prior to the delivery or dispatch of the certificate, he may direct that the certificate be delivered to the applicant on his giving an undertaking in writing that he shall deposit the said copy of the film or script or verbatim commentary or tape record of the commentary within such time not exceeding 60 days as may be specified by the Chairman.
(7) All such copies of films, scripts or commentaries or tape records of commentaries deposited with the Board shall be accompanied by a declaration in Form X set out in Schedule II