Login : Advocate | Client
Home Post Your Case My Account Law College Law Library


Central & State Forms

How Do I Obtain

Apply for

Registration Forms for

IP Forms

Passport & Visa Forms

Tax Forms

Forms for


Affidavits & Notices

Obtain Birth Certificate: Karnataka

Persons required to register the Birth/Death

Persons required to register the births and deaths within the prescribed period of 21 (twenty one ) days from the date of birth/still birth/death as the case may be, are as shown below.

  • In respect of births and deaths in a house, the head of the house/household, and if he is not present at any time during the period within which the birth/death has to be reported, then the nearest relative present in the house or the oldest adult male person present in the house during the said period;
  • In respect of births/deaths in a hospital or health center or maternity or nursing home or other like institutions, the medical officer in charge or any person authorised by him on his behalf;
  • In respect of births and deaths in a jail, the jailor in charge;
  • In respect of births/deaths in a choultry, chattram, hostel, dharamshala, boarding-house, lodging-house, tavern, barrack, toddy shop or place of public resort, the person in charge there of;
  • In respect of any new-born child or dead body found deserted in a public place, the headman or the corresponding officer of the village in the case of a village, the officer in charge of the local police station elsewhere;
  • In any other place, such a person as may be prescribed.

         Extracts of birth/death registration :

         The extracts of the particulars from the register relating to births or deaths are to be given to an informant, as noted above, within thirty days from the date of reporting. If the informant fails to collect the extracts of the registration of birth/death, then the registrar would transmit the same to the concerned family by post within fifteen days of the expiry of the thirty-day period.


  • Any birth/death of which information is given to the Registrar after the expiry of 21 days from the date of occurrence but within 30 days of the same, shall be registered on payment of a late fee of Rs.2/- ( Rupees Two only).
  • Any birth/death of which information is given to the Registrar after thirty days but within one year of its occurrence, shall be registered only with the written permission of the Tahsildar/Commissioner/Chief officer as the case may be, on payment of a late fee of Rs.5/- (Rupees Five only).
  • Any birth or death which has not been registered within one year of its occurrence, shall be registered only on an order of a Magistrate of the first class or a Presidency Magistrate, on payment of a late fee of Rs.10/- (Rupees Ten only).

Registration of Name of child

Registration of birth can be done without the name of the child. A provision has been made in the State rules enabling the Registrar to enter the name of the child in the register in respect of the birth already registered by him after getting information from the parent/guardian of such a child within a period of one year from the date of registration. The name of the child can be entered even after one year but within 15 years from the date or registration, on payment of a prescribed late fee of Rs.5/-.

Registration of Births/Deaths of Indian citizens outside India

The Indian Consulates register the births and deaths of Indian citizens occurring outside India as per the provisions made in the Citizens Rules 1956 under the Citizenship Act 1955 and issue birth and death certificates. The certificate issued by the Indian Consulates is valid and holds good for all purposes. Also Indian citizens have been allowed to register the births of their children at the place of their usual residence within 60 days of their return to India, if they return with a view to settling here.

Registration of Deaths of missing persons

For registration of deaths, information on date of death and place of death of a person is required. However, in case of a missing person, his/her death is presumptive where the actual date of death and place of death cannot be ascertained. Ordinarily, a person unheard of for the statutory period shall be presumed to be dead on expiry of 7 years and not earlier. The presumption of death and its date and place of occurrence is a matter of burden of proof. The date and place of death of a person who is missing for more than 7 years is determined by the competent court/authority on the basis of oral and documentary evidence produced before it in this regard. Since the Registration of Birth and Death Act and Rules is silent on the question of determination of date and place of death of a missing person, the date and place determined by the court in a declaratory suit as may be filed for this purpose can be relied upon.

Registration of Births on Adoption

The matter of registration of the birth of a child taken on adoption and issuance of certificate thereof may be referred as per the guidelines issued by the Government in this regard.

Corrections and Cancellations

The Registrar can correct or cancel any entry in the register which is erroneous in form, or subject to the provisions of these rules. The errors may be of different types like

         Clerical or formal error : In this case , the Registrar must inquire into the matter and satisfy herself/himself that such an error has been made and send an extract of the copy of the correction to the Tahsildar/Commissioner/Chief Officer as the case may be.

         Error in substance : In this case, the Registrar can correct the entry upon production of a declaration setting forth the nature of error and the true facts of the case, made by two credible persons having knowledge of the facts of the cases. All the corrections should be reported along with the necessary details to the Tahsildar/Commissioner/Chief officer as the case may be.

         Fraudulent or improper entry : This is an offense punishable under the Act. Therefore, the Registrar must report to the Additional District Registrar, who is the prosecuting officer, and take necessary action on hearing from him.

Issue of Certificates

Under the RBD Act, a person can obtain an extract from the register relating to a birth or death on payment of a fee of Rs.5/-. Such extracts are to be issued in Form-5 in case of birth and form-6 in case of death. In the extract of a death, the particulars regarding the cause of death are not to be disclosed. Under Section 12 of the RBD Act, the Registrar should, "as soon as the registration of birth and death has been completed, give an extract of the registration free of charge to the person who gives the information". The Registrar should not only issue the first copy of the birth or death certificate free of charge but also should do so as soon as the registration is completed.

The fees payable for a search to be made, an extract or a non-availablility certificate to be issued shall be as follows:

         Search for a single entry in the first year for which the search is made: Rs. 2/-

         For every additional year for which the search is continued: Rs. 2/-

         For granting extract relating to each birth or death: Rs. 5/-

         For granting non-availability certificate of birth/death: Rs. 2/-

Any such extract in regard to birth or death shall be issued by the Registrar of the Tahsildar or Commissioner or Chief officer of the Municipal corporation/Municipal council as the case may be, in appropriate forms.

If any particular event of birth or death is not found registered , the Registrar shall issue a non-availability certificate in the appropriate form.

Any such extract or non-availability certificate may be furnished to the person asking for it or sent to him by post on payment of the postal charges there of.

Registration organization in the State

  • Chief Registrar of Births and Deaths And Director of Economics and Statistics Karnataka, Bangalore

         In Rural areas,

  • Registrar (rural) - Village accountant

         In Urban areas the following are the registrars,

  • In case of City corporations: Health officer.
  • In case of City Municipal councils: Health officer/Health inspector.
  • In case of Town municipal councils: Health inspector.
  • In case of Notified areas/Project areas/Cantonment - Health inspector.

Client Area | Advocate Area | Blogs | About Us | User Agreement | Privacy Policy | Advertise | Media Coverage | Contact Us | Site Map
powered and driven by neosys