Report No. 78
Section 53. Criminal Justice Act, 1972 (English):-provision of Day Training Centres, Bail Hostels, Probation Hostels, Etc.
(1) A probation and after-care committee may, with the approval of the Secretary of State, provide and carry on day training centres, bail hostels, probation hostels, probation homes and other establishments for use in connection with the rehabilitation of offenders.
(2) The Secretary of State may approve bail hostels; and in relation to hostels approved by him under this sub-section:
(a) Section 46(2) of the Criminal Justice Act, 1948 (Secretary of State's power to make rules as to management etc.) shall apply as it applies in relation to approved probation hostels and approved probation homes; and
(b) section 47 of that Act (certain residential institutions to be subject to inspection by Secretary of State) shall apply as it applies in relation to the institutions mentioned in that section.
(3) The Secretary of State may, with the approval of the Treasury and subject to such conditions as he may with the like approval determine, make payments to a probation and after-care committee towards any expenditure of the committee it exercising their powers under this section in respect of bail hostels, probation hostels and probation homes.
(4) The conditions subject to which any payments are made to a probation and after-care committee under sub-section (3) of this section may include conditions for securing the repayment in whole or in part of the sums received by the committee if the hostel or home in question ceases to be used as such.
(5) Sub-section (3)(b) of section 77 of the said Act of 1948 (contribution out of moneys provided by Parliament to wards expenditure of any society or person in respect of approved probation hostels or homes) shall have effect as if references to approved probation hostels or homes included reference to bail hostels; and sub-section (5) of that section (provisions as to conditions imposed in relation to grants under the said sub¬section (3)(b) shall, in relation to any grant made by virtue of this sub-section, have effect as if the reference to an approved probation hostel or home ceasing to be approved were a reference to a bail hostel ceasing to be used as such.
(6) In this section:-
"day training centres", means premises at which persons may be required to attend by a probation order containing a requirement under section 20 of this Act;
"bail hostels", means premises for the accommodation of persons remanded on bail;
"probation homes" means premises for the accommodation of persons who may be required to reside there by a probation order, not being such persons as are mentioned below in the definition of "probation hostels";
"Probation hostels", means premises for the accommodation of persons who may be required to reside there by a probation order, being persons who are employed outside the premises or are awaiting such employment.