Report No. 58
Supreme Court Judges
(1) Judges of the Supreme Court, who have rendered 8 years of service or more in that Court should, on retirement by superannuation, be entitled to a pension equal to half their salary.
(2) Medical attendance and other medical benefits should be available to retired Supreme Court Judges as they are available during their tenure of service.
(3) Supreme Court Judges should be given car allowance of Rs. 300 per month.
(4) In regard to the Chief Justice of India, the recommendation is that, if he functions as such for three years or more, he should, on retirement on superannuation, get a pension equal to half his salary as Chief Justice. If he works as Chief Justice for a period less than three years, the amount of pension (on such retirement) should be proportionately determined.
In no case should he get less than the maximum pension of a Judge of the Supreme Court.
(5) Leave travel concession should be available to Supreme Court Judges (and their family) every year, instead of every two years as at present.
(6) In regard to railway fare, no deductions should be made while calculating the leave travel concession, permissible to them.
We desire to place on record our warm appreciation of the valuable assistance we have received from Mr. Bakshi, Member-Secretary of the Commission, in the preparation of this Report. At all stages of the study of this problem, Mr. Bakshi took an active part in our deliberations.
P.B. Gajendragadkar, Chairman.
P.K. Tripathi, Member.
S.S. Dhavan, Member.
S.P. Sen-Varma, Member.
P.M. Bakshi, Member-Secretary.
Dated: 8th January, 1974
|Appendix 1||Rules of some High Courts as to interim stay.|
|Appendix 2||Pre-1950 position as to writs.|
|Appendix 3||Proposed amendment in the Income Tax Act 1961.|
|Appendix 4||Tables showing answers to question 8 of the Law Commission Questionnaire from State Governments, etc.|
|Appendix 5||Rules as to disciplinary proceedings against Government servants in some States.|
|Appendix 6||Extract of Supreme Court Judges, T.A. Rules.|