Report No. 84
Arrest and Investigation
We propose to deal in this Chapter with the provisions as to arrest of women and certain aspects of investigation into offences. We also propose to consider the question how far workers of social organisations should be associated with the process of investigation.1
As to arrest, our discussion will cover certain matters concerning the arrest of women and their detention-these would apply to arrest and detention for any offence.2
As regards investigation, some of the matters to be discussed in this Chapter are confined to rape and allied offences-3
Some of them would, however, be applicable to the interrogation of women in general.4
Some5 have a still wider application, concerned as they are with the duties of police officers concerning the recording of information relating to offences in general or charges against police officers.
1. Paras. 3.33 and 3.34, infra.
2. E.g. paras. 3.5 to 3.10, infra.
3. E.g. paras. 3.11 to 3.15, infra and paras. 3.26 and 3.27, infra.
4. E.g. paras. 3.16 to 3.25, infra and paras. 3.34 and 3.35, infra.
5. E.g. paras. 3.28 to 3.32, infra.