Report No. 269
16. Euthanasia of Male Chicks -
(1) The hatcheries shall use animal euthanasia to euthanise male chicks using a combinations of inert gases by the method of controlled atmospheric killing.
(2) The Board shall issue guidelines specifying the manner for euthanasia.
17. Prohibition with regard to feed -
(1) The feeding of hens with remains of dead chicks shall be prohibited.
(2) The use of growth promoters shall be prohibited.
(3) Antibiotics may be administered for therapeutic purposes (disease treatment) and only under supervision of a veterinarian.
(4) Withdrawal of feed to induce a molt shall be prohibited.
18. Disposal of Spent Hens -
(1) The farm shall sell spent hens only to a licensed slaughter house.
(2) The transport and slaughter of spent hens shall be in accordance with the applicable rules.