Report No. 173
14. Obligation to furnish information.-
(1) Notwithstanding anything contained in any other law, the officer investigating any offence under this Act, shall have power to require any officer or authority of the Central Government or a State Government or a local authority or a Bank, company, or a firm or any other institution, establishment, organisation or any individual to furnish information in their possession in relation to such offence, on points or matters, as in the opinion of such officer, will be useful for, or relevant to, the purposes of this Act.
(2) Failure to furnish the information called for under sub-section(1), or furnishing false information shall be punishable with imprisonment for a term which may extend to three years or fine, or with both.
(3) Notwithstanding anything contained in the Code, the offence under sub-section (1) shall be tried as a summary case and the procedure prescribed in Chapter XXI of the said Code (except sub-section (2) of section 262) shall be applicable thereto.
(4) Any officer in possession of any information shall furnish the same suo motu to the officer investigating an offence under this Act, if in the opinion of such officer such information will be useful to the investigating officer for the purposes of this Act.