Report No. 86
4. Proceedings where service is dispensed with.-
Where an order is made, under this Act dispensing with service of notice on any person or class of persons, and property is sold by order of the court, the following provisions shall have effect:-
(1) The proceeds of sale shall be paid into court to abide the further order of the court;
(2) The court shall, by order, fix a time, at the expiration of which the proceeds will be distributed, and may from time to time, by further order, extend that time;
(3) The court shall direct such notices to be given by advertisements or otherwise as it thinks best adapted for notifying to any persons on whom service is dispensed with, who may not have previously come in and established their claims, the fact of the sale, the time of the intended distribution, and the time within which a claim to participate in the proceeds must be made;
(4) If at expiration of the time so fixed or extended the interests of all the persons interested have been ascertained, the court shall distribute the proceeds in accordance with the rights of those persons;
(5) If at the expiration of the time so fixed or extended the interests of all the persons interested have not been ascertained, and it appears to the court that they cannot be ascertained, or cannot be ascertained without expense disproportionate to the value of the property or of the unascertained interests, the court shall distribute the proceeds in such manner as appears to the court to be most in accordance with the rights of the persons whose claims to participate in the proceeds have been established, whether all those persons are or not before the court, and with such reservations (if any) as to the court may deem fit in favour of any other persons (whether ascertained or not) who may appear from the evidence before the court to have any prima facie rights which ought to be so provided for, although such rights may not have been fully established, but to the exclusion of all other persons, and thereupon all such other persons shall by virtue of this Act be excluded from participation in those proceeds on the distribution thereof, but notwithstanding the distribution any excluded person may recover from any participating person any portion received by him of the share of the excluded person.