Report No. 276
- If the legalisation of gambling and betting happens it must have authorities to keep a check on -
(i) Age limit of adolescents
(ii) Specific licenses for operators and those who do not have them must be penalized
(iii) A gambling registration number must be provided to each player
(iv) A moral check on the players.
(v) Heavy taxation would help build good monetary economy.
- Jurisprudentially law must be conformed to the sociologically beneficial purposes. Thus, encouragement to the gambling industries would result in economic growth thus social welfare.
- Those involved in malpractices like match fixing must be penalised.
- A certain section of students who were against legalising betting and gambling suggested that these contracts are not legally enforceable and thus, must not be made legal. Further, they said it is immoral in nature.
- Also, bringing the unregulated industries like the betting and gambling under the legal frame work would lead to overall increase in the economic benefits to the country. But having a precisely functioning regulatory authority is a must.
- A fundamentally precise legislative framework is needed to have an overall fiscal growth.
- Further a new Gambling Act,2018 must be enacted which should contain the following points -
1. Define the scope of law.
2. Define the role and responsibility of Central and State governments.
3. Define the national structure and supervising authority.
4. Licensing structure, process, framework and due diligence.
5. Full open market or limited accesses.
6. Penalties and fees
7. Social Responsibilities clauses on players and industries.
8. Marketing code
9. Regulatory Reforms
10. Technical Standards.
- Tax on gambling must be based on gross revenue and not on single bet basis.