Report No. 177
In this State, particulars have been furnished in respect of two districts, namely, Pune rural district and Thane rural district. The particulars with respect to Pune rural district are the following:
1. Total no. of persons arrested (no. of persons arrested under substantive offences.- 8943.
2. Total no. of persons arrested under preventive provisions of la.- 4933.
3. Out of it, total no. of persons chargesheete.- 8836.
4. Total no. of persons dropped/released without filing chargeshee.- 93. It does not include persons arrested under preventive provisions of law.
5. Total no. of persons ended in convictio.- 73.
6. Percentage of arrests made in relation to bailable offence.- 72.90%.
The particulars with respect to Thane rural district are to the following effect:
(1) Total no. of persons arrested 10,376
(2) Total no. of persons arrested under preventive 7,566 provisions of law
(3) Out of it, total no. Of persons chargesheeted 10,345
(4) (A) Total no. of persons dropped/released 31 without filing chargesheets
(B) Total no. of persons dropped/released withou.-- filing chargesheets, who arrested under preventive provisions
(5) How many persons ended in conviction 394
(6) Percentage of arrests made in relation to 67.73% bailable offences (7028)
It may be noticed that in case of both the said districts, the number of preventive arrests are unusually high. It is more than one-half of the number of arrests for substantial offence in the case of Pune rural and two-thirds in the case of Thane rural. Then again the arrests made in relation to bailable offences are something ununderstandable. It is 72.90 and 67.73 per cent, respectively. (We are not referring to the number of convictions because we presume that the reference to number of convictions in that year may not be relatable to the total number of chargesheets filed during that year).