Login : Advocate | Client
Home Post Your Case My Account Law College Law Library

Report No. 23

24. Certification of documents of marriages solemnised in accordance with local law in a foreign country.-

(1) Where-

(a) a marriage is solemnised in any foreign country specified in this behalf by the Central Government, by notification in the Official Gazette, in accordance with the law of that country between parties of whom one at least is a citizen of India; and

(b) a party to the marriage who is such citizen produces to a marriage officer in the country in which the marriage was solemnised-

(i) a copy of the entry in respect of the marriage in the marriage register of that country certified by the appropriate authority in that country to be a true copy of that entry; and

(ii) if the copy of that entry is not in the English language, a translation into the prescribed language of that copy; and

(c) the marriage officer is satisfied that the copy of the entry in the marriage register is a true copy and that the translation, if any, is a true translation;

the marriage officer, upon the payment of the prescribed fee, shall certify upon the copy that he is satisfied that the copy is a true copy of the entry in the marriage register and upon the translation that he is satisfied that the translation is a true translation of the copy and shall issue the copy and the translation to the said party.

(2) A document relating to a marriage in a foreign country issued under subsection (1) shall be admitted in evidence in any proceedings as if it were a certificate duly issued by the appropriate authority of that country.

(Cf. section 26, Australian Act.)

Law of Foreign Marriages Back

Client Area | Advocate Area | Blogs | About Us | User Agreement | Privacy Policy | Advertise | Media Coverage | Contact Us | Site Map
Powered and driven by Neosys Inc