Report No. 38
6. Cognate Acts.-
The main subject of transmission of postal articles is dealt with in the Indian Post Office Act, 1898. The Post Office discharges a number of other functions also, and several Acts have been passed relating to these functions, the important amongst which are listed below:-
(1) The Government Saving Banks Acts, 1873.
(2) The Indian Telegraph Act, 1885.
(3) The Post Office Cash Certificates Act, 1917.
(4) The Indian Wireless Telegraphy Act, 1933.
(5) The Telegraph Wires (Unlawful Possession) Act, 1950.
This Report is concerned with revision of the Post Office Act, and not with the other enactments mentioned above. We have, however, considered section 5 of the Telegraph Act, which is analogous to section 26 of the Post Office Act1. We may also note, that we were requested to consider that section2.
1. See para. 93, infra.
2. S. Nos. 40 and 53 on Law Commission file.