Report No. 38
37. Suggestion regarding liability.-
It has been suggested1 that the liability of the Government should be extended to registered articles. It would not, however, be practicable to accept this suggestion in toto. Certain facilities are given in respect of registered articles.2 To make the Post Office liable for the loss of registered articles would practically amount to placing registered articles on the same footing as insured articles. We are, however, recommending a limited provision3 in this respect.
1. S. No. 102 (Suggestion of a High Court).
2. Indian Post Office Rules, 1933, rules 58 to 65.
3. See section 28 (as proposed).
38. A State Government1 has suggested that a liability for liquidated damages be imposed for negligence in the delivery of letters. We think, that it would be impracticable to impose such a liability. We are not, therefore, in favour of the proposed change.
1. S. No. 97 (State Government).