Report No. 28
62. Section 7-Holding of book.-A suggestion has been made that, while taking an oath the deponent should hold in his hand the religious scripture in which he believes, e.g., the Gita or the Quran. This aspect of the matter has been discussed elsewhere.1
1. Para. 21, supra.
63. Section 7-Who should administer oath.-It has also been suggested that the oath should be administered by the presiding officer of the Court. We have accepted the suggestion, for the reason stated elsewhere1.
1. Para. 25, supra.
64. Sections 8-12-(Special oaths).-Sections 8-12 are proposed to be deleted, in view of our recommendation1 to abolish special oaths.
1. Para. 45, supra, regarding special oaths.
65. Section 13.-Section 13 provides that an omission to take an oath, etc., or any irregularity therein shall not
(i) invalidate the proceedings;
(ii) render inadmissible any evidence;
(iii) affect the obligation to state the truth.
A suggestion has been made to limit the saving to (iii) only. We are not inclined to accept the suggestion.