Report No. 90
4.2. Section 5-Indian Christian Marriage Act, 1872.-
Section 5, Indian Christian Marriage Act, 1872 reads as under:-
5. "Persons by whom marriage may be solemnized:-
Marriages may be solemnised in India:-
(1) by any person who has received episcopal ordination, provided that the marriage be solemnized according to the rules, rites, ceremonies and customs of the Church of which he is a Minister;
(2) by any clergyman of the Church of Scotland, provided that such marriage be solemnized according to the rules, rites, ceremonies and customs of the Church of Scotland;
(3) by any Minister of Religion licensed under this Act to solemnize marriage;
(4) by, or in the presence of, a Marriage Registrar appointed under this Act;
(5) by any person licensed under this Act to grant certificates of marriage between Indian Christians.
Clauses (1) and (2) of the section are of particular relevance to the point under discussion.