Report No. 60
4.16. Recommendation regarding section 5.-
In the result, we recommend that section 5 should be amended to carry out the points discussed above.1 The revised section should be as follows.
1. Paras. 4.4 to 4.16, supra.
Revised section 51
"5. Coming into force of enactments.-(1) Where any Central Act is not expressed to come into force on a particular day, then it shall come into force
(i) in the case of a Central Act made before she commencement of the Constitution, on the day on which it receives the assent of the Governor-General; and
(ii) in the case, of an Act of Parliament, on the day on which it receives the assent of the President.
(2)Where an Ordinance promulgated or Regulation made by the President on or after the day of ,2 is not expressed to come into force on a particular day, then it shall come into force on the day on which the Ordinance is promulgated or the Regulation is made, as the case may be.
(3) Unless the contrary intention is expressed, every Central Act, Ordinance, or Regulation or provision thereof shall be construed as coming into force immediately on expiration of the day preceding the beginning of the day on which it comes into force.
(4) The date appearing on the copy of a Central Act printed by or under the authority of the Central Government immediately after its title shall be evidence that such date is the date on which the Governor-General or the President, as the case may be, gave his assent."
1. The revised sub-section (1) will apply to existing Acts also.
2. Date of commencement of amendment Act to be entered.