Report No. 175
3. Insertion of new sections 7B to 7U
After section 7A of the principal Act, the following sections shall be inserted, namely:-
7B. Immigration Authorities
(1) The Central Government may, by notification, appoint a Chief Immigration Officer and as many Immigration Officers as it deems fit for the purposes of this Act.
(2) The Central Government may, by general or special order, define the area to which the authority of an Immigration Officer so appointed shall extend and, where two or more Immigration Officers are appointed for the same area, also provide, by such order, for the distribution and allocation of the work to be performed under this Act in relation to such area.
(3) The Central Government may, if satisfied that it is necessary so to do in public interest, authorize any person to perform all or any of the functions of an Immigration Officer under this Act.
(4) The Immigration Officers shall perform the functions assigned to them by or under this Act under the general superintendence and control of the Chief Immigration Officer.
(5) The Chief Immigration Officer may, in addition to the special functions assigned to him by or under this Act, perform all or any of the functions assigned to an Immigration Officer.