Report No. 111
(1) In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires,
(a) "child" includes son, daughter,1 grandson, grand-daughter, adopted child,2 and a person to whom the deceased stood in loco parentis.
(b) "parent" includes father, mother, grand-father, grand-mother, step-father, step-mother, a person who adopted a child,3 and a person who stood in loco parentis to the deceased;4
(2) For the purposes of this Act, an illegitimate person shall be regarded as the legitimate child of his mother and reputed father.5
(3) In deducting any relationship for the purpose of this Act, any relationship by affinity shall be treated as a relationship by consanguinity, any relationship of the half blood as a relationship of the whole blood, and the step-child of any person as his child.
(4) Any reference in this Act to injury including any disease and any impairment of a person's physical or mental condition.
(5) All words in this Act shall apply to a child in the womb who is afterwards born alive.
1. As to step-children, see clause 2(3), infra.
2. See paras. 5.5(b) and 10.1.
3. See para. 5.5(e).
4. See para. 10.2.
5. See para. 5.5(b) and 10.4(i).