Report No. 255
8.15.1. The reporting of poll results during federal elections is regulated by the Canada Elections Act, 2000. The Act prohibits the transmission of new election survey results to the public on polling day, before the close of all the polling stations in the electoral district.362
362. Section 328, Canada Elections Act, 2000
8.15.2. Any person transmitting an opinion poll within 24 hours after they are first transmitted to the public must provide the following together with the results:363.
- 363. Section 326, Canada Elections Act, 2000
- "the name of the sponsor of the survey;
- the name of the person or organization that conducted the survey;
- the date on which or the period during which the survey was conducted;
- the population from which the sample of respondents was drawn;
- the number of people who were contacted to participate in the survey; and
- if applicable, the margin of error in respect of the data obtained."