Report No. 79
2. Jurisdiction of High Courts and City Civil Courts
(8) High Courts in the three Presidency towns exercise ordinary original civil jurisdiction, and also several other species of jurisdiction,1 though their burden has been somewhat reduced by establishing City Civil Courts. All High Courts have extra-ordinary original jurisdiction, original jurisdiction in election petitions, and appellate and revisional jurisdiction, writ jurisdiction and power to punish for contempt.1
(9) High Courts hear references under various laws and also have civil revisional and supervisory jurisdictions.2
(10) For historical and other reasons, judicial business in the High Courts also presents considerable variety.3
(11) The writ jurisdiction has played a notable part in the development of constitutional and administrative jurisprudence.4
1. Paras. 2.3 to 2.5.
2. Paras. 2.6 and 2.7 to 2.10.
3. Paras. 2.11 and 2.12.
4. Para. 2.12.