Report No. 37
Recommendations in Respect of others Acts
1. The Bankers' Books Evidence Act, 1891 (18 of 1891).
This Act may be amended so as to extend some of its provisions to investigation by the police.1
2. Indian Penal Code, 1860 (45 of 1860)
(a) The question whether imprisonment for life should be rigorous or simple may be considered under the Indian Penal Code.2
(b) Section 179 of the Indian Penal Code and other connected sections may be amended so as to ensure that a refusal to answer questions under section 161 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1898, is made punishable.3
(c) Similar amendment of the above-mentioned sections of the Indian Penal Code will be necessary in respect of a refusal to answer questions under section 175 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1898, if section 175 of the Code of Criminal Procedure is amended so as to omit the word "truly".4
1. Para. 216, body of the Report.
2. Para. 162 of the body of the Report.
3. Para. 352 of the body of the Report, read with Appendix II (containing Note on section 161).
4. Para. 389 of the body of the Report.