Report No. 161
6. Term of office, salary and allowances and other conditions of service of Chief Vigilance Commissioner and Vigilance Commissioners.-
(1) The Chief Vigilance Commissioner or Vigilance Commissioner shall hold office as such for a term of five years from the date on which he enters upon his office, or till he attains the age of 65 years, whichever is earlier, but shall not be eligible for re-appointment.
(2) On ceasing to hold office, a Chief Vigilance Commissioner or the Vigilance Commissioner shall be ineligible to hold any office of profit under the Government of India or the Government of a State or accept any kind of employment under any organisation, public, private or international organisation, as the case may be:
Provided that a Vigilance Commissioner shall be eligible to be appointed as the Chief Vigilance Commissioner, but his term of office both as Vigilance Commissioner and as Chief Vigilance Commissioner put together, shall not exceed the period of five years.
(3) The salary, allowances and other conditions of service of the Chief Vigilance Commissioner and the Vigilance Commissioner shall be the same as those of the Comptroller and Auditor-General of India. Provided that the Chief Vigilance Commissioner shall further be entitled to an additional allowance of Rs. 500 per month.
The status of the Chief Vigilance Commissioner and Vigilance Commissioners shall be that of the Comptroller and Auditor-General of India:
Provided that the Chief Vigilance Commissioner shall rank above the Vigilance Commissioners:
Provided further that such salary shall be in addition to any pension to which the Chief Vigilance Commissioner or Vigilance Commissioner may be entitled to in respect of any previous service under the Government of India or under the Government of a State and no deduction shall be made from such salary on the ground of his having received any retirement gratuity, or on the ground that he received the commuted value of a portion of the pension, in respect of his previous service.
(4) The Chief Vigilance Commissioner and Vigilance Commissioner shall, before entering upon his office, make and subscribe to an oath and of secrecy in such form and in such manner and before such authority as may be prescribed.