Report No. 151
16. Assistance of Assessors.-
(1) The provisions of section 140 of the Code of Civil Procedure (Act V of 1908) shall be applicable to all proceedings under this Act.
(2) The Central Government shall publish in the Official Gazette a list of assessors containing the names of persons who have specialised qualifications or experience in admiralty and maritime matters who may be called upon to assist the court as Assessors.
(3) The appointment of assessors under this section shall not be construed as a bar to the examination of expert witnesses by any of the parties.
(4) The Central Government may make rules prescribing the qualifications for assessors, the nature of duties to be performed by, and the fees to be paid to them and other ancillary and incidental matters.