Report No. 10
12. Proceedings by Collector.-
(1) On the day so fixed, or on any other day to which the proceedings may be adjourned, and after consultation with the appropriate Government, and, if the acquisition is made for purposes other than those of the Government, also with the person or authority for which the acquisition is made, and after calling for such information from the claimants as he thinks necessary, the Collector shall-
(a) fix, by agreement with all the persons referred to in clause (b) the true area of the land, the compensation to be allowed for the land and the person entitled to receive the same;
(b) also ascertain whether all the persons known or believed to be interested in the land, of whom, or of whose claims, he has information whether or not they have respectively appeared before him, are agreed as to the apportionment of the said compensation among themselves.
[Section 11 L.A.A.]
(2) If an agreement is arrived at under clause (a) or (b) of sub-section (I) on any of the matters mentioned in that clause, the Collector shall record such agreement obtain the signatures of the parties and make an order in accordance with such agreement, under his hand. A copy of such order shall be furnished free of cost to any person interested in the land who applies for the same.
(3) In so far as an agreement is not arrived at under clauses (a) and (b) of sub-section (1) on any of the matters mentioned in that clause, the Collector shall-
(a) refer such matter or matters for the determination of the court and inform the parties of the same immediately;
(b) fix the basis of the true area of the land as determined by him, the compensation which in his opinion should be allowed for the land; and
(c) fix the manner of apportionment of the said compensation among the claimants, where such apportionment is needed.
(4) In fixing the amount of compensation, the Collector shall be guided by the provisions contained in sections 21 and 22.
[Section 15, L.A.A.]