Public Interest Litigation
Against Whom a Public Interest Litigation Can be Filed?
- A PUBLIC INTEREST LITIGATION can be filed only against a State / Central Govt., Municipal Authorities, and not any private party.
- However "Private party" can be included in the PUBLIC INTEREST LITIGATION as "Respondent", after making concerned state authority, a party.
For example - If there is a Private factory in Delhi, which is causing pollution, then people living nearly, or any other person can file a PUBLIC INTEREST LITIGATION against:
- Government of Delhi
- State Pollution Control Board, and
- Also against the private factory
- However, a PUBLIC INTEREST LITIGATION can not be filed against the Private party alone concerned state Govt. /, and state authority has to be made a party.