- When the notice has been issued to the defendant, he is required to appear on the date mentioned in the notice.
- Before such date, the defendant is required to file his "written statement", i.e. his defence against the allegation raised by plaintiff, within 30 days from date of service of notice, or within such time as given by court
- The written statement should specifically deny the allegations, which defendant thinks are false. Any allegation not specifically denied is deemed to be admitted.
- The written statement should also contain verification from the Defendant, stating that, the contents of written statement are true and correct.
- The time period of 30 days, for filing a Written Statement, can be extended to 90 days after seeking permission of the court.