Procedure on Receipt of Application
- The application filed is referred by the Controller to the Examiner who makes an inquiry to see whether it complies with the requirements of the Act and Rules, whether there is any lawful ground of objection of the grant of the patent, and whether the invention has already been published or claimed by some other person.
- The examiner makes a search in the patent office for specifications of prior applications and Patents to see whether the same invention has ready been published or claimed or is the subject matter of existing or expired patens. A report is accordingly made to the Controller within 14 months form the date of reference.
- The patent office after examination of the application will communicate to the applicant the objections, if any to the grant of a patent. If the objections are not satisfactorily met the Controller of Patents after giving an opportunity of hearing to the applicant will refuse the application.
- If the applicant satisfactorily removes the objections the controller will accept the complete specification and advertise it in the official Gazette.
- A request for sealing the patent can be made not later than the expiration of six months from the date of publication.
The Patent head office is at Calcutta and there are branch offices at Bombay , Delhi and Madras