Shyamali Chatterejee Vs. Municipal Corporation, Bhilai
[Civil Appeal No(S). 5148-5149/2018 arising from SLP (C) Nos.433-434/2015]
1. Leave granted.
2. The appellant is before this Court aggrieved by the reduction of one-time compensation in lieu of reinstatement on account of the alleged illegal termination. It is fairly clear from the facts that the appellant had worked for about 15 years as a daily wager. The Labour Court had granted Rs.5,00,000/- (Rupees Five Lacs) whereas the High Court reduced it to Rs.2,00,000/- (Rupees Two Lacs).
3. Having regard to the entire facts and circumstances of the case, we are of the view that the appellant should be entitled to an additional amount of Rs.1,50,000/- (Rupees One Lac Fifty Thousand).
4. Therefore, these appeals are disposed of directing the respondent/Municipal Corporation to pay, within a period of two months, Rs.1,50,000/- (Rupees One Lac Fifty Thousand) with interest @ 6% per annum from the date of termination. In case, the amount, as granted by the High Court, has not been released to the appellant, the same shall also be released, however, without interest, since the Municipal Corporation has already tendered that money.
5. The appeals are, accordingly, disposed of.
6. Pending applications, if any, shall stand disposed of.
7. There shall be no orders as to costs.
.......................J. [KURIAN JOSEPH]
.......................J. [MOHAN M. SHANTANAGOUDAR]
MAY 14, 2018.