Wild Life (Protection) Act, 1972
(1) No zoo shall be operated without being recognized by the Authority:
Provided that a zoo being operated immediately before the date of commencement of the Wild Life (Protection) (Amendment) Act, 1991 may continue to operate without being recognized for a period of 41[eighteen months from the date of such commencement] and if the application seeking recognition is made within that period, the zoo may continue to be operated until the said application is finally decided or withdrawn and in case of refusal for a further period of six months from the date of such refusal
(2) Every application for recognition of a zoo shall be made to the Authority in such form and on payment of such fee as may be prescribed.
(3) Every recognition shall specify the conditions, if any, subject to which the applicant shall operate the zoo.
(4) No recognition to a zoo shall be granted unless the Authority, having due regard to the interests of protection and conservation of wild life, and such standards, norms and other matters as may be prescribed, is satisfied that recognition should be granted.
(5) No application for recognition of a zoo shall be rejected unless the applicant has been given a reasonable opportunity of being heard.
(6) The Authority may, for reasons to be recorded by it, suspend or cancel any recognition granted under sub-section (4):
Provided that no such suspension or cancellation shall be made except after giving the person operating the zoo a reasonable opportunity of being heard.
(7) An appeal from an order refusing to recognize a zoo under sub-section (5) or an order suspending or canceling a recognition under sub-section (6) shall lie to the Central Government.
(8) An appeal under sub-section (7) shall be preferred within thirty days from the date of communication to the applicant of the order appealed against:
Provided that the Central Government may admit any appeal preferred after the expiry of the period aforesaid if it is satisfied that the appellant had sufficient cause for not preferring the appeal in time.