22F. Powers and procedure of Settlement Commission.
(1) In addition to the powers conferred on the Settlement Commission under this Chapter, it shall have all the powers which are vested in a wealth-tax authority under this Act.
(2) Where an application made under section 22C has been allowed to be proceeded with under section 22D, the Settlement Commission shall, until an order is passed under sub-section (4) of section 22D, have, subject to the provisions of sub-section (3) of that section, exclusive jurisdiction to exercise the powers and perform the functions of a wealth-tax authority under this Act in relation to the case:
3[Provided that where an application has been made under section 22C on or after the 1st day of June, 2007, the Settlement Commission shall have such exclusive jurisdiction from the date on which the application was made:
Provided further that where
(i) an application made on or after the 1st day of June, 2007, is rejected under sub-section (1) of section 22D; or
(ii) an application is not allowed to be proceeded with under sub-section (2A) of section 22D, or, as the case may be, is declared invalid under sub-section (2C) of that section; or
(iii) an application is not allowed to be further proceeded with under sub-section (2D) of section 22D, the Settlement Commission, in respect of such application shall have such exclusive jurisdiction up to the date on which the application is rejected, or, not allowed to be proceeded with, or, declared invalid, or, not allowed to be further proceeded with, as the case may be.]
(3) Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (2) and in the absence of any express direction to the contrary by the Settlement Commission, nothing contained in this section shall affect the operation of any other provisions of this Act requiring the applicant to pay tax on the basis ofself-assessment in relation to the matters before the Settlement Commission.
(4) For the removal of doubt, it is hereby declared that, in the absence of any express direction by the Settlement Commission to the contrary, nothing in this Chapter shall affect the operation of the provisions of this Act in so far as they relate to any matters other than those before the Settlement Commission.
1. Subs. by Act 11 of 1987, s. 82, for the proviso (w.e.f. 1-6-1987).
2. Ins. by Act 22 of 2007, s. 88 (w.e.f. 1-6-2007).
3. Ins. by s. 89, ibid. (w.e.f. 1-6-2007).
4. Subs. by Act 46 of 1986, s. 37, for sub-section (5) (w.e.f. 10-9-1986).
5. Sub-sections (5) and (6) omitted by Act 11 of 1987, s. 83 (w.e.f. 1-6-1987).
(7) The Settlement Commission shall, subject to the provisions of this Chapter, have power to regulate its own procedure and the procedure of Benches thereof in all matters arising out of the exercise of its powers or of the discharge of its functions, including the places at which the Benches shall hold their sittings.]