Water (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1974
33. Power of Board to make Application to Courts for Restraining Apprehended Pollution of Water in Streams or Wells.
(1) Where it is apprehended by a Board that the water in any stream or well is likely to be polluted by reason of the disposal or likely disposal of any matter in such stream or well or in any sewer or on any land, or otherwise, the Board may make an application to a court, not inferior to that of a Metropolitan Magistrate or a Judicial Magistrate of the first class, for restraining the person who is likely to cause such pollution from so causing.
(2) On receipt of an application under sub-section (1) the court may make such order as it deems fit.
(3) Where under sub-section (2) the court makes an order restraining any person from polluting the water in any stream or well, it may in that order -
(i) direct the person who is likely to cause or has caused the pollution of the water in the stream or well, to desist from taking such action as is likely to cause pollution or, as the case may be to remove from such stream or well, such matter; and
(ii) authorize the Board, if the direction under clause (i) (being a direction for the removal of any matter from such stream or well) is not complied with by the person to whom such direction is issued, to undertake the removal and disposal of the matter in such manner as may be specified by the court.
(4) All expenses incurred by the Board in removing any matter in pursuance of the authorization under clause (ii) of sub-section (3) or in the disposal of any such matter may be defrayed out of any money obtained by the Board from such disposal and any balance outstanding shall be recoverable from the person concerned as arrears of land revenue or of public demand.