The Warehousing (Development and Regulation) Act, 2007
4. Registration of warehouses. -
1. Any person desirous of commencing or carrying on the business of maintaining a warehouse issuing negotiable warehouse receipts may make an application to the Authority for registration in respect of one or more warehouses owned or occupied by him.
2. Every application for registration under sub-section (1) shall be in such form and manner and shall be accompanied by such fees as may be prescribed.
3. The Authority may, after such enquiry and subject to such terms and conditions as it thinks fit, grant a certificate of registration of the warehouse in the prescribed form and bearing a registration number to the applicant authorising him to carry on the business of maintaining a warehouse or warehouses and to issue negotiable warehouse receipts.
4. The Authority may not grant a certificate of registration under this section unless it is satisfied that the warehouse in respect of which the application has been made has adequate facilities and safeguards required to warehouse the goods of the nature specified in the application and the applicant satisfies the financial, managerial and other eligibility criteria and competence as may be prescribed: Provided that no certificate of registration shall be refused to any applicant under this section unless the applicant has been given an opportunity of being heard.