38. Powers of Board to appoint Executive Officer.-
(1) Notwithstanding anything contained in this Act, the Board may, if it is of the opinion that it is necessary so to do in the interests of the 1[waqf], appoint on whole-time or part-time or in an honorary capacity, subject to such conditions as may be provided by regulations, an Executive Officer with such supporting staff as it considers necessary for any 1[waqf] having a gross annual income of not less than five lakh rupees: Provided that the person chosen for appointment should be a person professing Islam.
(2) Every Executive Officer appointed under sub-section (1) shall exercise such powers and discharge such duties as pertain only to the administration of the property of the 1[waqf] for which he has been appointed and shall exercise those powers and discharge those duties under the direction, control and supervision of the Board: Provided that the Executive Officer who is appointed for a 1[waqf] having a gross annual income of not less than five lakh rupees shall ensure that the budget of the 1[waqf] is submitted, the accounts of the 1[waqf] are regularly maintained, and the yearly statement of accounts are submitted within such time as the Board may specify.
(3) While exercising his powers and discharging his functions under sub-section (2), the Executive Officer shall not interfere with any religious duties or any usage or custom of the 1[waqf] sanctioned by the Muslim law.
(4) The salaries and allowances of the Executive Officer and his staff shall be fixed by the Board and in fixing the quantum of such salary the Board shall have due regard to the income of the 1[waqf], the extent and nature of the duties of the Executive Officer and shall also ensure that the amounts of such salaries and allowances are not disproportionate to the income of the 1[waqf] and do not operate as an unnecessary financial burden on it.
(5) The salaries and allowances of the Executive Officer and his staff shall be paid by the Board from the 1[Waqf] Fund and, if the 1[waqf] generates any additional income as a result of appointment of the Executive Officer, the Board may claim reimbursement of amounts spent on the salaries and allowances from the fund of the 1[waqf] concerned.
(6) The Board may, for sufficient reasons, and after giving to the Executive Officer or a member of his staff, a reasonable opportunity of being heard, suspend, remove or dismiss the Executive Officer or a member of his staff from his post.
(7) Any Executive Officer or a member of his staff who is aggrieved by any order or removal or dismissal made under sub-section (6) may, within thirty days from the date of communication of the order, prefer an appeal against the order to the Tribunal and the Tribunal may, after considering such representation as the Board may make in the matter, and after giving a reasonable opportunity to the Executive Officer or a member of his staff of being heard, confirm, modify or reverse the order.
1. Subs. by Act 27 of 2013, s. 4, for "wakf" (w.e.f. 1-11-2013).
2. Subs. by s. 4, ibid., for "wakfs" (w.e.f. 1-11-2013).
3. S. 37 numbered as sub-section (1) thereof by s. 25, ibid. (w.e.f. 1-11-2013).
4. Ins. by s. 25, ibid. (w.e.f. 1-11-2013).