3[5A. The objects of the University.-
(1) The objects of the University shall be to disseminate and advance knowledge and understanding by providing instructional, extension and research facilities and by the example and influence of its corporate life, and the University shall, in organising its activities, have due regard to the following objects for which the Visva-Bharati at Santiniketan was founded by Rabindranath Tagore, as expressed in his own words, namely:-
(i) to study the mind of Man in its realisation of different aspects of truth from diverse points of view;
(ii) to bring into more intimate relations with one another, through patient study and research, the different cultures of the East on the basis of their underlying unity;
(iii) to approach the West from the standpoint of such a unity of the life and thought of Asia;
(iv) to seek to realise in a common fellowship of study the meeting of the East and the West, and thus ultimately to strengthen the fundamental conditions of world peace through the establishment of free communication of ideas between the two hemispheres; and
(v) with such ideals in view to provide at Santiniketan aforesaid a Centre of Culture where research into and study of the religion, literature, history, science and art of Hindu, Buddhist, Jain, Islamic, Sikh, Christian and other civilisations may be pursued along with the culture of the West, with that simplicity in externals which is necessary for true spiritual realisation in amity, good fellowship and co-operation between the thinkers and scholars of both Eastern and Western countries, free from all antagonisms of race, nationality, creed or caste and in the name of the One Supreme Being who is Shantam, Shivam, Advaitam.
(2) The objects of the University shall also include harmonising the cultures of India, the East and the West by, among other things, the admission of students and appointment of adhyapakas from various regions of India and various countries of the world, and by providing incentives therefor.
1. Ins. by Act 60 of 1961, s. 4 (w.e.f. 19-12-1961).
2. Subs. by s. 5, ibid., for clause (ii) (w.e.f. 19-12-1961).
3. Ins. by Act 31 of 1984, s. 4 (w.e.f. 8-8-1984).