2[(1) The Trustees of the Victoria Memorial (hereinafter called the Trustees) shall be the following, namely:-
(a) the Government of West Bengal, ex officio, Chairman ;
(b) the Chief Justice of the High Court of West Bengal, ex officio ;
(c) three persons to be nominated by the Central Government, one of whom shall be a representative of commerce and industry, chosen in consultation with the State Government of West Bengal and two others chosen from among persons who, in the opinion of the Central Government, have expert knowledge of the exhibits in the Victoria Memorial or are museologists, historians or art historians;
(d) a representative of the Central Government in the Ministry concerned with matters relating to the Victoria Memorial, ex officio;
(e) a representative of the Central Government in the Ministry of Finance, Department of Expenditure, concerned with matters relating to the Victoria Memorial, ex officio;
(f) the Mayor of the Corporation of Calcutta and where the Corporation of Calcutta is superseded, the Administrator of that Corporation, ex officio;
(g) an officer, not below the rank of the Accountant General, nominated by the Comptroller and Auditor General of India, ex officio;
(h) the Secretary to the Government of West Bengal in the Department of Education, ex officio;
(i) four persons (of whom one at least shall he from the general body of subscribers), to be nominated by the Trustees from among persons, who, in the opinion of the Trustees from among persons, who, in the opinion of the Victoria Memorial or are museologists, historians or art historians, with the approval of the Central Government.]
(2) The Trustees shall be a body corporate, with perpetual succession by the name of "The Trustees of the Victoria Memorial" and a common seal, and in that name shall sue and be sued, and shall have power to acquire and hold property to enter into contracts, and to do all acts necessary for and consistent, with the purposes of this Act.
1[(3) All acts done by a majority by those present and voting at a meeting of the Trustees, and all acts done in pursuance of a majority decision of the Trustees obtained by circulation to the Trustees of the matter requiring decision, shall be deemed to be acts of the Trustees.]
2[(3A) If any of the Trustees referred to in clauses (b), (d), (e), (f), (g) and (h) of sub-section (1) is unable to attend any meeting of the Trustees, he may, with the previous approval of the Chairman, authorise in writing a person to do so.]
(4) No act of the Trustees shall be, deemed to be invalid merely by reason of any vacancy in, or defect in the constitution of the body of the Trustees.
(5) In the case of ex officio Trustees the person for the time being performing the duties of any of the offices mentioned in sub-section (1) shall act as a Trustee.
(6) The Trustees may appoint a person to act as their Secretary.
(7) Orders for the payment of money on behalf of the Trustees shall be deemed to be sufficiently authenticated if signed by two Trustees and countersigned by the Secretary.
1. The word "and" and sub-section (2) rep. by the Repealing and Amending Act, 1914 (10 of 1914), s. 3 and the First Schedule.
2. Subs. by Act 32 of 1981, s. 2, for sub-section (1).