6. The Registrar.-
(1) The Registrar shall be appointed by the Executive Council on the recommendation of a Selection Committee constituted for the purpose and shall be a whole-time salaried officer of the University.
(2) He shall be appointed for a term of five years and shall be eligible for re-appointment.
(3) The emoluments and other terms and conditions of service of the Registrar shall be such as may be prescribed by the Ordinances: Provided that the Registrar shall retire on attaining the age of sixty-two years: Provided further that a Registrar shall, notwithstanding his attaining the age of sixty-two years, continue in office until his successor is appointed and enters upon his office or until the expiry of a period of one year, whichever is earlier.
(4) When the office of the Registrar is vacant or when the Registrar is, by reason of illness, absence or any other cause, unable to perform the duties of his office, the duties of the office shall be performed by such person as the Vice-Chancellor may appoint for the purpose.
(5) (a) The Registrar shall have power to take disciplinary action against such of the employees, excluding teachers and other academic staff, as may be specified in the order of the Executive Council and to suspend them pending inquiry, to administer warnings to them or to impose on them the penalty of censure or the withholding of increment: Provided that no such penalty shall be imposed unless the person has been given a reasonable opportunity of showing cause against the action proposed to be taken in regard to him.
(b) An appeal shall lie to the Vice-Chancellor against any order of the Registrar imposing any of the penalties specified in sub-clause (a).
(c) In a case where the inquiry discloses that a punishment beyond the power of the Registrar is called for, the Registrar shall, upon the concluding of the inquiry, make a report to the Vice-Chancellor along with his recommendations: Provided that an appeal shall lie to the Executive Council against an order of the Vice-Chancellor imposing any penalty.
(6) The Registrar shall be ex officio Secretary of the Court, the Executive Council and the Academic Council, but shall not be deemed to be a member of any of these authorities.
(7) It shall be the duty of the Registrar-
(a) to be the custodian of the records, the common seal and such other property of the University as the Executive Council shall commit to his charge; (b) to issue all notices convening meetings of the Court, the Executive Council, and the Academic Council, the college development council and of any Committees appointed by those authorities;
(c) to keep the minutes of all the meetings of the Court, the Executive Council and the Academic Council and of any Committees appointed by those authorities;
(d) to conduct the official correspondence of the Court, the Executive Council and the Academic Council;
(e) to arrange for and superintend the examinations of the University in the manner prescribed by the Ordinances;
(f) to supply to the Visitor copies of the agenda of the meetings of the authorities of the University as soon as they are issued and the minutes of such meetings;
(g) to represent the University in suits or proceedings by or against the University, sign powers of attorney and verify pleadings or depute his representative for the purpose; and
(h) to perform such other duties as may be specified in the Statutes, the Ordinances or the Regulations or as may be required from time to time by the Executive Council or the Vice-Chancellor.