5. Deans of Faculties.-
(1) Every Dean of Faculty shall be appointed by the Vice-Chancellor from amongst the Professors in the Faculty by rotation in the order of seniority for a period of three years: Provided that in case there is only one Professor or no Professor in a Faculty, the Dean shall be appointed, for the time being, from amongst the Professor, if any, and the Readers in the Faculty by rotation in the order of seniority: Provided further that in the case of a Faculty comprising a University College, the Principal of such University College shall be the ex officio Dean of the Faculty.
(2) When the office of the Dean is vacant or when the Dean is, by reason of illness, absence or any other cause, unable to perform duties of his office, the duties of the office shall be performed by the senior-most Professor or Reader, as the case may be, in the Faculty.
(3) The Dean shall be the ex officio Chairman of the Board of the Faculty and shall be responsible for the conduct and maintenance of the standards of teaching and research in the Faculty and shall have such other functions as may be prescribed by the Ordinances.
(4) The Dean shall have the right to be present and to speak at any meeting of the Boards of Studies or Committees of the Faculty, but shall not have the right to vote thereat unless he is a member thereof.
(5) Notwithstanding anything contained in clause (1), every teacher serving as Dean of a Faculty immediately before the appointed day, shall continue as such up to the date on which he would have continued as Dean if the Act had not been enacted and thereafter the Dean of the concerned Faculty shall be appointed in accordance with the provisions of clause (1) above.