1. Short title, extent and commencement.-
(1) This Act may be called the Union territories (Separation of Judicial and Executive Functions) Act, 1969.
(2) It extends to all Union territories except the Union territory of Chandigarh.
(3) It shall come into force in a Union territory to which it extends on such date1 as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint in respect thereof:
1. 2nd October, 1969, vide notification No. S.O. 3836, dated 17th September, 1969 in respect of the Union territory of Delhi.
1st March, 1970, vide notification No S.O. 384, Dated 29 January, 1970 in respect of Union territory of Laccadive, Minicoy and Amindive Islands.
2. See now the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1973 (2 of 1974).
Provided that different dates may be appointed for different areas in a Union territory and any reference to the commencement of this Act in relation to a Union territory or an area therein shall mean the date on which it comes into force in that Union territory or area.