128. Payment of compensation to raiyat.-
(1) The compensation to which a raiyat is entitled under section 127 shall be paid to him by the Government in the first instance, and it may be paid in cash, in lump sum or in annual instalments not exceeding twenty or in the form of bonds which may be negotiable or non-negotiable but transferable.
(2) From the date of the declaration referred to in section 126, the raiyat shall be entitled to interest at the rate of 2½ per cent. per annum on the compensation or such portion thereof as remains un paid.
(3) Any mortgage of, or encumbrance on, the land of which the ownership is transferred to the under-raiyat under section 126 shall be a valid charge on the amount of compensation payable to the raiyat.
(4) Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-sections (1) to (3), where the person entitled to compensation under section 127 is a charitable or religious institution, the compensation shall, instead of being assessed under that section, be assessed as a perpetual annuity equal to the reasonable rent for the land, less the land revenue payable on such land. The amount so assessed shall be paid to such institution in the prescribed manner.