4. Functions of the Committee.-
(1) Subject to the provisions of this Act, the functions of the Committee shall generally be to ensure by such measures, as it thinks fit, standard qualities of textiles both for internal marketing and export purposes and the manufacture and use of standard type of textile machinery. (2) Without prejudice to the generality of the provisions of sub-section (1), the Committee may-
(a) undertake, assist and encourage, scientific, technological and economic research in-textile industry and textile machinery,
(b) promote export of textiles and textile machinery and carry on propaganda for that purpose;
2[(c) establish or adopt or recognise standard specifications for-(i) textiles, and (ii) packing materials used in the packing of textiles or textile machinery, for the purposes of export and for internal consumption and affix suitable marks on such standardised varieties of textiles and packing materials;] (d) specify the type of quality control or inspection which will be applied to textiles or textile machinery;
3 [(da) provide for training in the techniques of quality control to be applied to textiles or textile machinery;]
(e) provide for the inspection and examination of-
(i) textiles; (ii) textile machinery at any stage of manufacture and also while it is in use at mill-heads; 3[(iii) packing materials used in the packing of textiles or textile machinery;]
(f) establish laboratories and test houses for the testing of textiles;
(g) provide for testing textiles and textile machinery in laboratories and test houses other than those established under clause (f);
(h) collect statistics for any of the above mentioned purposes from-
(i) manufacturers of, and dealers in, textiles;
(ii) manufacturers of textile machinery; and
(iii) such other persons as may be prescribed;
(i) advice on all matters relating to the development of textile industry and the production of textile machinery;
(j) provide for such other matters as may be prescribed.
(3) In the discharge of its functions, the Committee shall be bound by such directions as the Central Government may, for reasons to be stated in writing, give to it from time to time.
1. Ins. by Act 51 of 1973, s. 4 (w.e.f. 1-1-1975).
2. Subs. by s. 5, ibid., for clause (c) (w.e.f. 1-1-1975).
3. Ins. by s. 5, ibid. (w.e.f. 1-1-1975). *. Vide notification No. S.O. 3912(E), dated 30th October, 2019, this Act is made applicable to the Union territory of Jammu and Kashmir and the Union territory of Ladakh.