The Prevention of Terrorism Act, 2002
Chapter I Preliminary
1. Short title, application, commencement, duration and savings.-
1. This Act may be called the Prevention of Terrorism Act, 2002.
2. It extends to the whole of India.
3. Every person shall be liable to punishment under this Act for every act or omission contrary to the provisions thereof, of which he is held guilty in India.
4. Any person who commits an offence beyond India which is punishable under this Act shall be dealt with according to the provisions of this Act in the same manner as if such act had been committed in India.
5. The provisions of this Act apply also to-
a. citizens of India outside India;
b. persons in the service of the Government, wherever they may be; and
c. persons on ships and aircrafts, registered in India, wherever they may be.
6. Save as otherwise provided in respect of entries at serial numbers 24 and 25 of the Schedule to this Act, it shall be deemed to have come into force on the 24th day of October, 2001 and shall remain in force for a period of three years from the date f its commencement, but its expiry under the operation of this sub-section shall not affect-
a. the previous operation of, or anything duly done or suffered under this Act, or
b. any right, privilege, obligation or liability acquired, accrued or incurred under this Act, or
c. any penalty, forfeiture or punishment incurred in respect of any offence under this Act, or
d. any investigation, legal proceeding or remedy in respect of any such right, privilege, obligation, liability, penalty, forfeiture or punishment as aforesaid, and, any such investigation, legal proceeding or remedy may be instituted, continued or enforced and any such penalty, forfeiture or punishment may be imposed as if this Act had not expired.