1. Short title, extent, application and commencement.
(1) This Act may be called the Suppression of Unlawful Acts Against Safety of Maritime Navigation and Fixed Platforms on Continental Shelf Act, 2002.
(2) It extends to the whole of India including the limit of the territorial waters, the continental shelf, the exclusive economic zone or any other maritime zone of India within the meaning of section 2 of the Territorial Waters, Continental Shelf, Exclusive Economic Zone and other Maritime Zones Act, 1976 (80 of 1976).
(3) Save as otherwise provided, it shall apply
(a) to any offence under section 3 committed outside India by any person;
(b) to a ship, if that ship is navigating or scheduled to navigate into, through or from waters beyond the outer limits of the territorial waters of India, or the lateral limits of its territorial waters with adjacent States;
(c) when the offence is committed on board a ship in the territorial waters of India or against a fixed platform located on the Continental Shelf of India.
(4) Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (3), this Act shall apply only to offences committed by an offender or alleged offender,
(a) when such an offender is found in the territory of a Convention State;
(b) when such an offender is found in the territory of a Protocol State in whose internal water or territorial waters or continental shelf the fixed platform is located; or
(c) when such an offender is found in the territory of a State other than the State referred to in clause (a) or clause (b).
(5) It shall come into force on such date1 as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint.