35. Madras Legislative Council.-
(1) In the Legislative Council of Madras, as from the appointed day, there shall be 5 seats of which-
(a) the numbers to be filled by persons elected by the electorates referred to in sub-clauses (a), (b) and (c) of clause (3) of article 171 shall be 6[16, 6 and 4] respectively;
(b) the number to be filled by persons elected by the members of the Legislative Assembly in accordance with the provisions of sub-clause (d) of the said clause shall be 16; and
(c) the number to be filled by persons nominated by the Governor in accordance with the provisions of sub-clause (e) of that clause shall be 8.
(2) As from the appointed day, the Delimitation of Council Constituencies (Madras) Order, 1951 shall have effect subject to the modifications directed by the Second Schedule, and in the said Order,-
(a) any reference to the State of Madras shall be construed as including the territory added to that State by section 4 and as excluding the territory which ceases to be part of that State by virtue of section 5, section 6 or section 7;
(b) any reference to Tirunelveli district shall be construed as including the territory added to that district by section 4; and
(c) any reference to Coimbatore district shall be construed as excluding Kollegal taluk.
(3) The two sitting members of the said Council representing the West Coast (Local Authorities) Constituency 7***, and such two of the eighteen sitting members elected by the members of the Legislative Assembly, as the Chairman of the said Council shall by order specify, shall, on the appointed day, cease to be members of the said Council.
(4) If, immediately before the appointed day, the total number of sitting members nominated by the Governor is nine, such one of them as the Governor shall by order specify shall, on the appointed day, cease to be a member of the said Council.
(5) Save as provided by sub-section (3), every sitting member of the said Council representing a council constituency the extent of which is altered by virtue of sub-section (2) shall, as from the appointed day, be deemed to have been elected to the said Council by that constitutency as so altered.
(6) As soon as may be after the appointed day, by-elections shall be held in all the local authorities constituencies to fill the vacancies existing on that day in the said Council.
(7) In order that, as nearly as may be, one-third of the members of the said Council may retire on the 20th April, 1958, and on the expiration of every second year thereafter, the Governor shall after consultation with the Election Commission, make by order such provisions as he thinks fit in regard to the terms of office of the members elected under sub-section (6) and such modifications as he thinks fit in the terms of office of any of the sitting members.
1. Subs. by Act 37 of 1957, s. 6, for "the appointed day" (w.e.f.18-9-1957).
2. Proviso omitted by s. 6, ibid. (w.e.f. 18-9-1957).
3. Subs. by s. 5, ibid., for "Until the said Council has been reconstituted in accordance with the provisions of sub-sections (4) and (5) of this section and summoned to meet for the first time" (w.e.f. 18-9-1957).
4. Omitted by s. 5, ibid. (w.e.f. 18-9-1957).
5. Subs. by Act 67 of 1956, s. 2, for "48" (w.e.f. 1-11-1956).
6. Subs. by s. 2, ibid., for "16, 4 and 4" (w.e.f. 1-11-1956).
7. The words and brackets "and such two of the six sitting members representing the Madras (Graduates) Constituency" omitted by s. 2, ibid. (w.e.f. 1-11-1956).