Standards of Weights and Measures (Enforcement) Act, 1985
65. Compounding of offences.-
1. Any offence punishable under section 39, section 40, section 41, section 42, section 44, section 45, section 46, section 47, section 48, section 51, section 52, section 54 or section 59 or any rule made under sub-section (3) of section 72, may either before or after the institution of the prosecution, be compounded, by the Controller or such other officer as may be authorised in this behalf by the Controller, on payment, for credit to the State Government, of such sum as the Controller or such other officer may specify:
Provided that such sum shall not, in any case, exceed the maximum amount of the fine which may be imposed under this Act for the offence so compounded.
2. Nothing contained in sub-section (1) shall apply to a person who commits the same or similar offence within a period of three years from the date on which the first offence, committed by him, was compounded.
Explanation.-- For the purpose of this sub-section, any second or subsequent offence committed after the expiry of a period of three years from the date on which the offence was previously compounded, shall be deemed to be a first offence.
3. Where an offence has been compounded under sub-section (1), no proceeding or further proceeding, as the case may be, shall be taken against the offender, in respect of the offence so compounded, and the offender, if in custody, shall be discharged forthwith.
4. No offence punishable under this Act shall be compounded except as provided by this section.