Standards of Weights and Measures (Enforcement) Act, 1985
Chapter II: Appointment of Controllers, Inspectors and Other Officers
5. Appointment of Controllers, Inspectors and other officers and staff.-
1. The State Government may, by notification, appoint a Controller of Legal Metrology for the State and as many Additional, Joint, Deputy or Assistant Controllers, Inspectors, and other officers and staff as may be necessary for exercising the powers, and efficiently discharging the duties, conferred or imposed on them by or under this Act or the Standards Act.
2. Every Additional Controller, Inspector or other officer, appointed under sub-section (1), shall exercise such powers and discharge such functions of the Controller as the State Government may, by notification, authorise in this behalf.
3. The Controller may, by general or special order, define the local limits within which each Additional Controller, Inspector or other officer, appointed under sub-section (1), shall exercise his powers and discharge the duties conferred or imposed on him by or under this Act.
4. Subject to the provisions of this Act, every Additional Controller, Inspector and other officer appointed under sub-section (1), shall exercise his powers and discharge the duties of his office under the general superintendence, direction and control of the Controller and shall exercise those powers and discharge those duties in the same manner and with the same effect as if they had been conferred or imposed on him directly by or under this Act and not by way of authorisation.
5. The Controller and every Additional Controller and other officer authorised by or under this Act may also--
a. perform all or any of the functions of, and
b. exercise all or any of the powers conferred by this Act or any rule or order made there under, on, an Inspector.