Standards of Weights and Measures (Enforcement) Act, 1985
17. Procedure of registration.-
1. Every person, who intends to commence, or carry on, the use of any weight or measure in any transaction or for industrial production or for protection, shall make, within such time and containing such particulars as may be prescribed, an application for the inclusion of his name in a register to be maintained for the purpose (hereinafter in this section referred to as the "Register of Users").
2. The Register of Users shall be maintained in such form and in such manner as may be prescribed.
3. The application referred to in sub-section (1) shall be made to the Controller or to such other person as the Controller may, by general or special order in writing, authorise in this behalf and every such application shall be made in such form, in such manner and on payment of such fee as may be prescribed.
4. On receipt of the application referred to in sub-section (1), the Controller or the person authorised by him shall include the name of such person in the Register of Users and issue to the applicant a certificate to the effect that his name has been so included.
5. A certificate issued under sub-section (4) shall be valid for the period specified therein and may be renewed from time to time for such further period and on payment of such fee as may be prescribed.