Standards of Weights and Measures Act, 1976
47. Persons exporting or importing any weight or measure to get themselves registered. -
(1) No dealer or manufacturer shall export or import any weight or measure unless he is registered under this section as such exporter or importer, as the case may be.
(2) Every person who intends to commence or continue business as an exporter or importer of any weight or measure shall make, within such time from the commencement of this Act as may be prescribed, an application for the inclusion of his name in the register to be maintained for the purpose.
(3) The application referred to in sub-section (2) shall be made to the Director and every such application shall be made in such form, in such manner and on payment of such fees, not exceeding ten rupees, as may be prescribed.
(4) On receipt of an application referred to in sub-section (2), the Director shall, if he is satisfied after such inquiry as he may think fit, that it is expedient in the public interest so to do, include the name of the applicant in the register referred to in sub-section (2) and issue to the applicant a certificate to the effect that his name has been so included and send a copy of the said certificate to the Controller of Legal Metrology in the State in which such exporter or importer is carrying on his business.
(5) A certificate granted under subsection (4) shall be valid for the period specified therein and may be renewed, from time to time, for such further period as may be prescribed.