Standards of Weights and Measures Act, 1976
41. Verification and stamping of weights and measures sent from one State to another. -
(1) Where any weight or measure, sent from a transferor State for delivery, sale or use in a transferee State, is such that-
(a) It is not required to be dismantled before its dispatch to the transferee State and is not likely to lose its accuracy by reason of such dispatch, it shall be known, for the purposes of this chapter, as a weight or measure of the first category;
(b) It is required to be dismantled before its dispatch to the transferee State and re-assembled and installed for use in the transferee State, it shall be known, for the purposes of this chapter, as a weight or measure of the second category.
(2) Subject to the provisions of sub-section (1), the Central Government may specify, by rules made in this behalf, the classes of weights or measures which would fall in the first category or the second category, and may, from time to time, if the circumstances so require, alter the category in which any class of weight or measure has been specified.
(3) Weight or measure of the first category shall, before it is dispatched to any transferee State be produced before the local Inspector in the transferor State and if such inspector is, after verification of such weight or measure, satisfied that such weight or measure conforms to the standards established by or under this Act, stamp the same with such special seal as may be specified by rules made under this Act.
(4) A weight or measure of the second category shall not be verified and stamped in the transferor State but shall be verified and stamped, after its re-assembly and installation for use, by the local Inspector in the transferee State.
(5) The fees for the verification and stamping of every weight or measure of-
(a) The first category shall be levied and collected by the transferor State;
(b) The second category shall be levied and collected by the transferee State;
In accordance with such scales as may be specified by rules under this Act.
(6) A weight or measure, whether of the first or second category, shall not require periodical re-verification if it is exclusively intended for domestic use and is not used by any member of the medical profession in the course of such profession.
(7) No weight or. measure, whether of the first or of the second category, shall be verified and stamped unless fees for such verification and stamping have been paid in accordance with the scales specified under sub-section (5).