3. Seamen's Provident Fund Scheme.-
(1) The Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, frame a scheme to be called the Seamen's Provident Fund Scheme for the establishment of a provident fund for seamen and there shall be established, as soon as may be after the framing of the Scheme, a Fund in accordance with the provisions of this Act and the Scheme.
(2) Subject to the provisions of this Act, the Scheme may provide for all or any of the matters specified in the Schedule to this Act.
(3) The Scheme may provide that any of its provisions shall take effect either prospectively or retrospectively on such date as may be specified in this behalf in the Scheme.
(4) The Scheme shall have effect notwithstanding anything contained in any law for the time being in force other than this Act or in any instrument having effect by virtue of any law other than this Act.
(5) The Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, add to, amend, vary or rescind the Scheme.
1. Subs. by Act 29 of 1997, s. 2, for certain words (w.e.f. 12-11-1998).